Monday, October 11, 2010

Evidence-Based Practice With Emotionally Troubled Children and Adolescents


Dr. Morley Glicken is the author of Evidence-Based Practice with Emotionally Troubled Children and Adolescents (Elsevier, 2009) and a number of other professional books whose objective is to improve the effectiveness of the help social workers provide to a variety of clients. This book on evidence-based practice with children and adolescents comes from a deep sense of concern that not only are we misdiagnosing children by giving them adult diagnostic labels; we’re also using untested, sometimes dangerous medications for children who could benefit from the kind and helpful support and behaviorally significant services provided by human service professionals. Says Dr. Glicken:

I’m also very concerned about the youth of America, particularly those most at risk. I hope you share that concern, and I challenge you to think about children in a more positive and hopeful way so that you use your bully pulpits as professionals and as nonprofessionals to develop new and exciting approaches to work with America’s youth.

Although I wrote this book for human service professionals, I think interested nonprofessionals and parents will benefit from reading it. I don’t think you’ll find it difficult at all to understand.

In my book I cover the many diverse problems affecting children and adolescents and the treatment approaches with best evidence of effectiveness. Because research on children and their emotional problems is often scant or flawed, it’s fine if your own experiences suggest other paths to follow. Let me know what works in your practice with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment